Monday, November 1, 2010

Our Future= Goats

We have started to go through a tremendous amount of milk recently. It is not good for my grocery budget! There has always been a ban on drinking milk at our house (due to allergies), but the kids love it and were sneaking it. So, I decided to lift the ban and see how it went. No problems with allergies, but the milk is flying through the house. What to do.

I have this friend who has milk goats. She volunteered to give our Keeper's of the Faith group a demonstration of the milking and she made some cheese for us, too. Our whole family came to the demonstration to see if everyone would even like the milk and if the kids were up for the challenge of keeping and milking goats. Everyone loved the milk (except me, and I don't like cow milk either) and the kids are excited about the prospect of goats.

What really sold me on the idea is that my friend gets about 1 gallon of milk a day. And she pays less to keep her goats than she does to keep her dogs. And the kids think they are getting pets out of the deal, also. We need to do some rearranging of our fence and build some shelters and fences before we can actually get a goat or two, but it is in our future plans. And then there should be some chickens for eggs in the future as well. I guess we are want to be homesteaders or something! And Leia is still praying for a horse.

A few pictures of our future goat milkers in action.


Luke gave it a try, but my picture of him didn't turn out so well. The older boys didn't want to try the milking, but they sure loved the milk. My friend told me that goats are like "Odd dogs." We are still laughing at that description!

2 comments:

  1. Amy ... the kids will probably love it until it turns into a chore :)

    Glad you guys are doing so well!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our dream, too, but we have to move first :( .

    Celee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I seriously love comments, so please take the time and say hi and tell me what you are thinking!